Holiday Decorating | Merry & Bright
Our Pinterest and Houzz feeds are overflowing with imagery of twinkling lights, lush Christmas wreaths, and a big round guy. It’s that time of year again! Tis the season to make your holiday a little brighter and cohesive by using our six decorating tips!
1. Less is more. This motto can be used in most applications, but it could not be more relevant for modern-day holiday decorating. Gone are the days of every surface saturated in red and green. The literal interpretation of what holiday decorating should be has been replaced with an understanding that a subtle nod offers you a refined and classic look. Understated is now appreciated and applied more in the design approach. The Christmas red is a powerful color and should be used sparingly. Mix in beautiful creams and metallics to add diversity and sparkle. Simplify your palette by making green throughout your anchor color. This leads us to our next tip…
2. Go green. Spread the cheer throughout the house by adding lush greenery. Hang wreaths on the interior of windows, adorn your mantle with a cascading swag of garland and place bud vases of mixed greens throughout. This is a brilliant way to bring in color, texture, and introduce the traditional holiday pine aroma. The classic boxwood, cedar, and fir are our go-to’s for greenery. One of our favorites, NDI, carries a variety of beautiful faux and preserved greenery, florals and stems. The dramatic arrangement of NDI’s stems gives you the opportunity to introduce height and a natural element to your décor. Make these your staple pieces for each holiday and mix in live greenery to bring in your fragrance.
3. Layers are not only meant for cold weather dressing. The layering of accessories, rugs and throws gives you a sense that the design is “finished”. The artful mix of textiles and patterns help create an inspired look. Mix in Ralph Lauren’s neutral plaid throw or Design Within Reach’s sheepskin rug. Not only will your eye appreciate the restful neutral palette, your feet will love the lush texture.
4. Need more color and pattern? Wrap your gifts or simply empty boxes with one of Rifle Paper’s beautiful patterned wrapping papers – your gifts are now décor! Wrap it with a crisp satin bow and you are done!
5. Old and new. We have all accumulated a collection of holiday décor over time. Push aside the guilt of feeling as though you must display all of your Christmas décor. Edit, edit, edit and edit some more! Incorporate pieces that evoke nostalgia and serenity. Mix in your grandmother’s vintage barware and showcase your retro Christmas mug collection. We often work with our clients to create custom millwork to not only provide functional storage but to showcase special pieces. Millwork is a beautiful backdrop and offers the perfect spot to display your special pieces. Place your family’s beautiful holiday tureen front and center and for all to admire!
6. Merry & bright. Evocative and calming candlelight creates a warm ambiance for the holiday season. Lit candles evoke a sense of warmth and foster a celebratory mood. Group ivory pillar candles throughout including the heart of your home—the kitchen island. Mix in Anthropologie’s Capri Blue Fir & Firewood Jar Candle to add some spice to your kitchen. No pun intended. Our team understands the importance of light and we work closely with our clients to understand how they decorate for the holidays. Not only do we coordinate our power plans to include outlets in the roof eaves for those pesky Christmas lights, we also coordinate electric window sill candles to ensure no bothersome cords can be visible!